I’ve watched enough anime to know that when giant, metaphysical objects suddenly appear in the sky, you should probably just go hide in your house for the next few weeks, because something bad’s definitely going to fall out of there. Though, I suppose if you live in a world of Pokémon, something like giant golden rings in the sky would just be an ordinary Sunday. So, what are the rings in the sky in Pokémon GO?
Pokémon GO players discovered numerous large golden rings floating in the skies above the wild when they opened the game earlier today. These rings are, of course, the trademark of the Mythical Pokémon Hoopa, who uses them to shuffle people and Pokémon into different places in the world (and occasionally, different points in history). As a direct result of Hoopa’s tomfoolery, Legendary Pokémon are streaming in from around the world and beyond, which is the reason for all of the Legendary Raids going on today.
What are the Rings in the Sky in Pokémon GO?
In addition to the set dressing, the rings have also lent themselves to a new research questline, aptly titled “Strange Rings.” Despite its timing, this questline isn’t actually linked to Pokémon GO Fest 2021, so you can still participate in it even if you didn’t purchase a Fest ticket.
Strange Rings Research Tasks and Rewards
There are two steps to Strange Rings, the goals and rewards of which are as follows:
- Transfer 20 Pokémon: rewards 5 Max Potions
- Take 2 Snapshots: rewards 3 Razz Berries
- Battle in 3 raids: rewards 3 Max Revives
- Completion reward: 5000 XP, 2000 Stardust and 1 Lucky Egg
- Win 5 raids: rewards 5 Max Revives
- Make 5 Great Throws: rewards 3 Silver Pinap Berries
- Catch 20 different Pokémon species: rewards 3 Max Potions
- Completion reward: 10,000 XP, 3 Silver Pinap Berries and 3,000 Stardust
While Hoopa, unfortunately, isn’t available for capture at the moment, this event definitely implies it’ll be making a nuisance of itself in the near future, so keep watching the skies.