The Hoenn Collection Challenge is a new type of challenge introduced in January 2021. They are active with each of the specific regional Celebration Events leading up to the Pokemon GO Tour: Kanto. For the Collection Challenges, trainers need to catch various regional-specific Pokemon. Spawn rates are higher, so the odds of finding them are a lot better. Here’s how to complete the Hoenn Collection Challenge and some tips to help you out.
After completing the Collection Challenge by catching all of the Pokemon, trainers unlock some items and advance their Elite Collector medal progress. The Hoenn Celebration event begins on January 19 at 10 AM Local Time and ends on Sunday, January 24, at 8 PM Local Time.
How to Complete The Hoenn Collection Challenge in Pokemon GO
Completing the Hoenn Collection Challenge requires you to catch the following Pokemon:
- Aron (wild, 5km eggs, one-star raids)
- Bagon (5km eggs, one-star raids)
- Minun (field research tasks)
- Mudkip (wild, one-star raids, field research tasks)
- Nincada (wild)
- Nosepass (wild)
- Plusle (field research tasks)
- Torchic (wild, one-star raids, field research tasks)
- Treecko (wild, one-star raids, field research tasks)
The reward for completing the Hoenn Collection Challenge is 5000 XP, 3 Silver Pinap Berries, and one Incense. To increase your odds and overall spawn rates for wild Pokemon, you can try using a Lure Module at your nearby PokeStop. You may find the Mossy and Magnetic Lures especially useful for this Hoenn Collection Challenge.
You can keep track of your progress by tapping on the field research button, or binocular icon, on the bottom right of your screen.
Field Research Tasks for the Hoenn Celebration Event
There are some new Field Research tasks available for trainers to complete in Pokemon GO. It is possible to achieve these after the event ends. Just make sure to pick them up while the event is underway. These will help you capture a Mudkip, Torchic, and Treecko, as well!
- Catch three weather-boosted Pokemon: Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip
- Catch 11 Pokemon: Plusle or Minun encounter
- Power up Pokemon 5 times: Aron encounter
- Power up Pokemon 9 times: Wailmer encounter
Check out the Hoenn Celebration Event Special Research as well to make sure you get all the rewards possible.