I’ll never forget that bit in the first Pokémon movie when Mewtwo was breaking out of confinement, and Dr. Fuji says “we dreamed of creating the world’s strongest Pokémon… and we succeeded.” That movie was full of great lines, come to think of it, but I digress. Mewtwo is a legendary among legendaries, the most powerful man-made Pokémon. Every kid on the playground wanted one back in the day, and that’s still true now in the age of Pokémon GO. Here’s are the details on Mewtwo in Pokémon GO, including how to catch one, how to counter one, its stats, and its best moveset.
Mewtwo is typically reserved for special occasions, such as Pokémon GO Fest. When it is available, it’s usually heading up five-star legendary raids. If you can beat one in a raid, you can catch it. Unfortunately, at the time of writing, Mewtwo isn’t out and about, but it’ll probably be back for the next major event, or perhaps during the holidays. This Pokémon GO Mewtwo guide will give you the complete breakdown of the classic Legendary ‘mon, including its stats, kit, best moveset, and counters.
When Mewtwo does come around again, you’ll want to know how to fight it, so let’s cover all the important details. You can also check out our Pokémon GO codes to stock up on freebies while they are available.
What are Pokémon GO Mewtwo’s Stats?
Here are Mewtwo’s stats in Pokémon GO:
- ATK: 300
- DEF: 182
- STA: 214
- Max CP: 2,387 (2,984 in windy weather)
- Max Raid CP: 54,148
Mewtwo has a base Attack of 300, a base Defense of 182, and a base Stamina of 214. When encountered as a raid boss, it can have a maximum CP of 54,148. If you’re intimidated, good. You should be.
What are Pokémon GO Mewtwo’s counters?
Here’s a look at what Mewtwo is weak against and resistant to, including some possible counters.
Weakness and Resistances
Mewtwo is a pure Psychic type, so it’s resistances break down like this:
- Weak against: Bug, Ghost, Dark
- Resistant to: Fighting, Psychic
If you remember the lesson from the Pokémon show, the best counter for a pure Psychic type is a Ghost type. That’s still true, but taking Mewtwo’s fearsome Attack stat into account, you need to employ the absolute cream of the crop. You need powerful DPS Ghost types like Gengar or Chandelure, preferably with doubled-up Ghost moves. Darkrai will also work if you have it, though I would actually still recommend those two Ghosts over it, just for their sheer damage-dealing capacity.
Best Mewtwo Counters
Here are the best Mewtwo Counters in Pokémon GO:
- Mega Gengar with Shadow Claw and Shadow Ball
- Shadow Mewtwo with Psycho Cut and Shadow Ball
- Mega Houndoom with Snarl and Foul Play
- Mega Gyarados with Bite and Crunch
- Shadow Weavile with Snarl and Foul Play
- Shadow Tyranitar with Bite and Crunch
- Giratina Origin with Shadow Claw and Shadow Ball
- Chandelure with Hex and Shadow Ball
- Darkrai with Snarl and Dark Pulse
- Mewtwo with Psycho Cut and Shadow Ball
- Weavile with Snarl and Foul Play
- Hydreigon with Bite and Dark Pulse
- Tyranitar with Bite and Crunch
- Gengar with Shadow Claw and Shadow Ball
- Mega Beedrill with Bite and X-Scissor
What are Pokémon GO Mewtwo’s Moves?
Once you’ve got Mewtwo on your side, you’ll want to know the best way to utilize it. Here are the moves in Mewtwo’s kit:
- Psycho Cut (Psychic)
- Confusion (Psychic)
- Flamethrower (Fire)
- Ice Beam (Ice)
- Thunderbolt (Electric)
- Psychic (Psychic)
- Focus Blast (Fighting)
- Shadow Ball (Ghost, Elite TM)
- Hyper Beam (Normal, Elite TM)
- Psystrike (Psychic, Elite TM)
What is Mewtwo’s Best Moveset in Pokémon GO?
Here is best moveset for Mewtwo in Pokémon GO:
- Quick move: Confusion
- Main move: Psystrike (Elite TM)
Quite a selection, huh? Now you get why Mewtwo is so coveted. The best course of action, though, is to have Mewtwo stick to its guns and use Psychic type moves for max damage. As such, whether you’re going for an offensive or defensive build, your best bet is to use Confusion for the Quick Move and Psystrike for the Main Move. If you don’t have the Elite TM for Psystrike, Psychic will work in a pinch.