The Dragons of Nightmare are four green dragons that were corrupted by the Emerald Nightmare. Lethon, Emeriss, Ysondre, and Taerar can all be found in either Duskwood, Hinterlands, Feralas, and Ashenvale
Each world dragon has a random spawn time and location, and are said to guard the portal to the Emerald Dragon. They all have unique mechanics, which we’ll cover in this Dragons of Nightmare spawns guide.
When do the Dragons of Nightmare Release
The Dragons of Nightmare release on April 16th, 2020 at 3:00 PM PDT (6:00 PM EDT). This information is confirmed by an official Blizzard post.
As in original World of Warcraft, the Dragons of Nightmare have some randomness to their comings and goings.
So that players don’t have to wonder and wait, we’re going to trigger the four dragons to spawn for the first time on all realms at 3:00 p.m. PDT (6:00 p.m. EDT) tomorrow, Thursday, April 16.
Thereafter, they’ll respawn according to their own designs.Blizzard
Dragons of Nightmare Spawn Locations
- Duskwood (Twilight Grove)
- Hinterlands (Seradane)
- Feralas (Dream Bough)
- Ashenvale (Bough Shadow)
Dragons of Nightmare Abilities and Strategy
Each dragon has its own unique abilities, as well as the following abilities:
- Noxious Breath – Frontal cone breath attack that has a DoT (2700 damage every 3 seconds with full stacks), and debuff that increases cooldown of all abilities by 10 seconds and stacks 6 times. Face the dragons towards only the main-tank.
- Dream Fog – Spawns green clouds of gas that put you to sleep for 4.5 seconds. Two clouds roam the whole battle. The tanks can get slept so be sure to have an off-tank lined up.
- Tail Sweep – Everyone at this point in the game should know never to stand behind a dragon. Deals 600-1000 damage and knocks players back. Careful of getting knocked into Dragonspawn and Dream Fog.
- Mark of Nature – Players kill by nightmare dragons gain a 15-minute debuff which causes Dream Fog to last for 2 minutes instead of 4.5 seconds.
- Aura of Nature – Invisible aura that interrupts anyone close to the dragon. Triggers 2 minute sleep when affecting players with Mark of Nature.
- Nature Immunity – All Dragons of Nightmare are completely immune to nature damage.
Emeriss has an AoE DoT that is cast on anyone within 100 yards at 75%, 50%, and 25% health. This ability removes 20% of HP every 2 seconds for 10 seconds.
Stacks a DoT on the main tank that can stack for up to 2700 damage every 3 seconds. This also increases cooldowns on all abilities by 60 seconds. Emeriss melee attacks crit for around 2,000 damage.
Lastly, an AoE disease ticks for 800-1000 and spreads to nearby players. Look out for the clouds of gas (Dream Fog) as they will sleep anyone who goes in them. Mushrooms will spawn every time she kills someone, and they deal 500-800 AoE damage and cannot be killed.
Taerar has 3 unique abilities: Bellowing Roar, Arcane Blast, and Shades of Taerar. Arcane Blast hits a target for 1000-3000 normal damage and knocks them back. Bellowing Roar hits anyone within 35 yards, fearing them for 4 seconds. Look out for being feared into the Dream Fog and falling asleep.
Taerar banishes himself and spawns Shades of Taerar at 75%, 50%, and 25% health. His copies can cast Dream Fog, so it’s best to keep them moving while tanking them. Off-tanks should be prepared to pick these adds up when they spawn.
Ysondre is the easiest fight out of the four. This dragon’s special abilities are Lightning Wave and Summon Demented Druid Spirits. Lightning Wave hits the initial target for 500 nature damage and arcs to 9 other targets with greater nature damage on every arc.
At 75%, 50%, and 25% health, Ysondre will spawn druids with 2500 health. Each spirit has three abilities:
- Curse of Thorns – Targets has a 50% chance to take 38-82 damage on each attack, lasting for 3 minutes.
- Moonfire – Hits for 200-300 damage and applies a DoT dealing 100 arcane damage every 3 seconds for 12 seconds.
- Silence – Prevents the target from casting for 5 seconds.
Lethon has two unique abilities, Shadow Bolt Whirl and Draw Spirit. Lethon fires four sets of shadow bolts to everyone on one side of him, then again to the other side.
Draw Spirit causes anyone within 100 yards of Lethon to be stunned for 5 seconds, causing 600 to 800 shadow damage. Spirit Shades walk out of stunned players’ bodies and will heal Lethon if they reach him. The Shades have 500 HP and are immune to AoE spells.