What is it with ghosts and music boxes? You open up an old music box, and it always starts playing spooky, rusty music that brings the specters out of the woodwork. Maybe your taste in music gets really weird when you die. Though, if you’re hunting ghosts like in Phasmophobia, such a thing could prove potentially beneficial. Here’s where to find and how to use the Music Box in Phasmophobia.
Where to Find & How to Use the Music Box in Phasmophobia
The Music Box is a cursed possession object that has a chance to spawn in any given Phasmophobia map. Using it is a very helpful way to pinpoint a ghost’s location on a map, but in doing so, you risk painting a fairly large target on your back. If you don’t know what you’re doing with it, the Music Box could easily cause your death.
The Music Box has a 1-in-6 chance of spawning on a map. If the Music Box does spawn, it’ll always show up in one of the following locations:
- Aslyum: first floor lobby
- Bleasdale Farmhouse: first floor living room
- Brownstone High School: first floor lobby
- Edgefield Street House: first floor living room
- Grafton Farmhouse: first floor foyer
- Maple Lodge Campsite: cabin picnic area
- Prison: first floor entrance
- Ridgeview Road House: second floor girl’s bedroom
- Tanglewood Street House: first floor nursery
- Willow Street House: first floor living room
How to Use the Music Box
When you pick up the Music Box, it’ll pop open. At this point, if you press the Use key, it’ll begin playing its song. While the Music Box is playing, if you listen carefully, you may be able to hear the ghost singing along with its song. This can help you pinpoint the ghost’s dwelling within the map.
However, there are a handful of catches to this little doodad you should be aware of:
- Standing next to or holding the Music Box while it’s playing will steadily drain your Sanity
- If the ghost is within five meters of the Music Box when it is activated, it will manifest and move toward the Music Box. If the ghost moves for more than 5 seconds, a Cursed Hunt is triggered
- If the ghost is near a player holding a playing Music Box, a Cursed Hunt is triggered
- If the Music Box is thrown while it’s playing, a Cursed Hunt is triggered. The Music Box can be softly set on a floor or surface to avoid this
Basically, activating the Music Box is kind of like holding up a giant obscene gesture. The ghost will see it and give itself away, but if it’s nearby when you start it, it will run up and kick your butt. The best way to make use of the box is to start it up, gently place it down, and back out of its Sanity-draining range to wait for the ghost to approach. It’s best to do this when you think the ghost is close, but not so close that you trigger a Cursed Hunt. It’s also good to have a buddy with you when you do this so they can snap a picture of the ghost when it manifests.
Deliberately annoying a ghost with a Music Box sounds like a really silly idea, but hey, as long as it works, right? Sometimes you gotta get weird to get one up on the supernatural.