The first quarter has been wildly successful for the Japanese video game company Nintendo. According to a recent report of their Q1 financials, Nintendo Switch tops 55 million units sold with over 356 million games sold. With strong sales in the console sector, the Nintendo Switch is doing better than ever before.
Animal Crossing New Horizons has been one of the best selling games this quarter, with over 13.4 million units already sold. Comparing this sell-through to previous Animal Crossing games, New Horizons dwarfs all other titles.
Pokemon Sword and Shield also top the list of most sold games with a total of 17.37 million units sold. This puts it ahead of every other single 3DS Pokemon game. That’s more than Pokemon X and Y, Sun and Moon, and Ruby and Sapphire. Sword and Shield has almost as many copies sold as Diamond and Pearl, making it one of the most successful Pokemon games in recent time.
Top Nintendo Switch Games
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 6.6 million units sold
- Super Mario Party – 10.1 million units sold
- Spplatoon 2 – 10.13 million units sold
- Animal Crossing New Horizons – 11.77 million units sold
- Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu / Eevee – 11.97 million units sold
- Pokemon Sword / Shield – 17.37 million units sold
- Super Mario Odyssey – 17.41 million units sold
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 17.41 million units sold
- Super Smash Brothers Ultimate – 18.84 million units sold
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 24.77 million units sold
For other games not in the top 10, refer to the chart below:
Overall, this is the strongest year ever for the Nintendo Switch. The company has already sold 21.03 million units this fiscal year, beating out 2019.